Slow-Cooker Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce
We recently started growing our own rhubarb, and we live in a part of Oregon where strawberries are plentiful. I created this to drizzle over ice cream and filled a crisp with the rest. —Kim Banick, Salem, Oregon
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed (about 10 stalks)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries (about 1-1/4 pounds), halved
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Cook,
- covered, on low 4-5 hours or until rhubarb is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth;
- gradually stir into sauce. Cook, covered, on low 30 minutes longer
- or until thickened. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup sauce (calculated without ice cream) equals 188 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.