Slow Cooker Red Beans & Sausage Recipe
Being from Louisiana, red beans are my go-to for comfort food. Putting on a nice pot of red beans for our Sunday family dinner goes back generations in my family. Dig in with some hot buttered corn bread. —Lisa Bowie, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1 pound dried red beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fully cooked andouille sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown sausage. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add onion, green pepper and celery to skillet; cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 3. In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine beans, sausage, vegetables and seasonings. Stir in broth. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until beans are tender.
- 4. Remove 2 cups of the bean mixture to a bowl. Mash gently with a potato masher. Return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/3 cups (calculated without rice) equals 283 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 1,534 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 27 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Red Beans & Sausage
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC