Slow Cooker Red Beans & Sausage Recipe
Being from Louisiana, red beans are my go-to for comfort food. Putting on a nice pot of red beans for our Sunday family dinner goes back generations in my family. Dig in with some hot buttered corn bread. —Lisa Bowie, Las Vegas, Nevada
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound dried red beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Andouille Sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown sausage. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add onion, green pepper and celery to skillet; cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 3. In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine beans, sausage, vegetables and seasonings. Stir in broth. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until beans are tender.
- 4. Remove 2 cups of the bean mixture to a bowl. Mash gently with a potato masher. Return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/3 cups (calculated without rice) equals 283 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 1,534 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 27 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC