- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1 cup cubed deli ham
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- Sour cream and chopped green onions, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine broth, potatoes, onion and pepper. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Mash potatoes to desired consistency. Whisk in cream cheese until melted. Stir in ham and milk. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and green onions if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Slow Cooker Potato & Ham Soup
"Changed the recipe just a little - added chopped celery and instead of deli ham, I used a ham steak (chopped). we thought it was great."
"This was easy and tasty. I used whole milk instead of evaporated milk. I give it 4 stars as is because it would be too rich and one note. We added a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and it really rounded out the recipe and made it a complete meal."
"This recipe was easy to make but I thought the flavor was a little more bland than I like. I probably will not make this again but will try another similar one. So many Taste of Home recipes to try, so little time!"
"Loved it and my friends loved it since I had them be the first to try it. Some suggested corn or even broccoli too."
"I followed the recipe as stated the first time I made this and it was good. Hubby suggested a can of great northern beans (rinsed and drained) and my daughter suggested cooked and crumbled bacon. I added these to the recipe the next time I made it and these two additions made it even better and fed more people!! Love it!!"