- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, whisk water and beef base; add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Sprinkle roast with pepper; transfer to slow cooker. Drizzle with Worcestershire sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a serving platter; tent with foil. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables. Skim fat from cooking juices. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually whisk in cooking juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cooked vegetables. Serve with roast. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Pot Roast
"To make the gravy have a deeper beef taste, make the gravy using the fat you strained from the cooking juices instead of butter, adding some butter if needed to have enough gravy. OR, if there is not a lot of fat in the juices, you can mix the flour or cornstarch with a small amount of cold water, and stir it straight into the simmering unstrained juices. Bring to a boil. Then turn down a little and continue cooking until thickened. Measurements for flour and fat required same as stated in recipe."
"This is truly comfort food. I omitted the salt in the gravy and didn't even miss it because there was enough salt in the beef base and Worcestershire sauce. I quartered the mushrooms to make them easier for my picky son to avoid. There was plenty of gravy to go with the meat and mashed potatoes that I made separately."
"My new favorite pot roast recipe. The only thing I did different, was use Portabella mushrooms and added some sliced carrots. I boiled potatoes separately to serve with the gravy/vegetable mixture and roast."
"I made this today IT WAS AMAZING. Was a huge hit with the wife and kids. I didn't have mushrooms so will have to try it next time."
"Awesome slow cooker recipe. I use about four times the garlic and a bit of coffee and mirin mixed in, but it's great as specified, too."
"Absolutely great! Huge hit! It was ready by the time we got home from church....it was moist - not dry like my usual pot roast! Thanks for the recipe!"
"Easy and delicious."
"Delicious! Got rave reviews from my husband and sister!"
"This was a very tasty roast. The whole family enjoyed it and it's on the menu for supper again tonight."