Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli Recipe
This is my favorite soup to make because it's so flavorful, hearty and healthy. I have served this hearty dish to guests and received many compliments. The soup will be thick, but delicious.—Penny Novy, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, cabbage, celery, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in pasta. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups (calculated without cheese) equals 258 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 885 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC