An old standby gets fun Mexican flair and an easy new preparation method in this recipe shared by Julie Sterchi of Jackson, Missouri. The round loaf gets extra flavor when served with salsa.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup taco sauce
- 1 cup coarsely crushed corn chips
- 1/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Additional taco sauce or salsa
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a round loaf; place in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Serve with taco sauce or salsa. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Meat Loaf in Quick Cooking January/February 2001, p43