Every fall and winter, our staff has a soup rotation. I have modified this recipe so I can prep it the night before and put it in the slow cooker in the morning. My colleagues love it! —Sharon Gerst, North Liberty, Iowa
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 6 lasagna noodles, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup cubed or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Thinly sliced fresh basil, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onion and carrots to same skillet; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until softened. Stir in mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in broth, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cook, covered, on low 4-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Skim fat from soup. Add lasagna; cook 1 hour longer or until tender. Stir in spinach. Remove insert; let stand 10 minutes. Divide mozzarella cheese among serving bowls; ladle soup over cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and, if desired, basil. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p61