- 7 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, divided
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds), well trimmed
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), coarsely chopped
- Line bottom of a 6-qt. slow cooker with four bacon strips. Sprinkle all sides of roast with salt; place in slow cooker. Arrange remaining bacon over top of roast.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until pork is tender. Add cabbage, spreading cabbage around roast. Cook, covered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours longer or until cabbage is tender.
- Remove pork to a serving bowl; shred pork with two forks. Using a slotted spoon, add cabbage to pork and toss to combine. If desired, skim fat from some of the cooking juices; stir juices into pork mixture or serve on the side. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Kalua Pork & Cabbage
"Not having ever tried anything similar, I didn't have any preconceptions of what it would taste like. It was different from my usual pulled-pork recipes, but in a good way. We used pre-cooked strips of bacon, which still gave enough bacon flavor to the dish."
"I loved this recipe. I had a lot of leftovers so one night I added BBQ sauce for pulled pork subs and another night I added Mexican spices to the recipe and made enchiladas (you'd never know cabbage was mixed in!). The only down side to the recipe was the smell as my house smelled like cabbage for a day or so afterwards."
"This was a very different recipe. My husband really enjoyed it but I didn't care so much for the cabbage. If I ever make it again I might use sauerkraut instead of cabbage."