Slow Cooker Italian Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 36 hamburger buns, split
- 1. Cook the beef, sausage, peppers and onion in a Dutch oven over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, garlic and bay leaves.
Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until flavors are blended. Discard bay leaves. Serve on buns, 1/2 cup on each.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 36 servings.
1 sandwich: 246 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 522mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 2 lean meat
Reviews for Slow Cooker Italian Sloppy Joes
"I have made this recipe twice so far...It is great! There are 7 of us with big appetites and I don't have to worry about not having enough and it is very easy to put together...will be making this again and again...Thanks for posting:)"
"I made this to feed the youth group. It was so nice to find a recipe to feed a crowd. The only problem I had was the the sauce was too thin- not great for going on a bun. I drained some of the liquid from the tomatoes before adding them. I ended up putting in a second can of tomato paste, and that really helped. This may just be a variation as to how different crock pots cook.I had some leftover, so we used it to fill calzones, along with pepperoni and cheese."