Slow Cooker Italian Sloppy Joes
These tasty sloppy joes with plenty of mass appeal are perfect for a gathering. If you're taking them to an event later in the day, simplify your morning by cooking the beef mixture and stirring in other ingredients the night before. Cool the meat sauce in shallow bowls in the fridge, then cover and refrigerate them overnight. The next day, transfer the meat mixture to the slow cooker to keep it w
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 36 hamburger buns, split
- Cook the beef, sausage, peppers and onion in a Dutch oven over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow
- cooker. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato
- paste, garlic and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until flavors are blended.
- Discard bay leaves. Serve on buns. Yield: 36 servings.