Slow Cooker Hula Chicken
As long as you’re cooking bacon for breakfast, save some for the slow cooker. In four hours, you’ll be saying aloha to lunch. —Cindy Lund, Valley Center, California
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 6 bacon strips, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Cut three bacon strips in half; cook until partially cooked but not
- crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; place in a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Top each thigh with a half piece of bacon. Top with onion, pineapple
- and barbecue sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Cook
- remaining bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. Sprinkle over each
- serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 chicken thigh with about 2 tablespoons sauce equals 375 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 135 mg cholesterol, 637 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 39 g protein.