- 6 bacon strips, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Cut three bacon strips in half; cook until partially cooked but not crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; place in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top each thigh with a half piece of bacon. Top with onion, pineapple and barbecue sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Cook remaining bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. Sprinkle over each serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Hula Chicken
Sort By :
Love this chicken!! Great flavor.....I don't think it's expected that the pineapple flavor should come through....it adds to the overall flavor in a subtle way, and provides texture as well. So easy to whip together, and so good! A real winner!
Easy and simple slow cooker recipe. I wanted something different and this was great. Just made a salad and cooked wild rice. Sauce was great over the rice. I will make again.
This looked and sounded so good, and the reviews were so enthusiastic, that I had high expectations for this recipe. Unfortunately, I could not taste the pineapple at all, even though I used a mild honey BBQ sauce. My husband was surprised when I told him there was pineapple in it. I will try it again, but will change the relative amounts of the BBQ sauce and pineapple.
Loved this!!!! The flavor is wonderful and the chicken is outrageously tender and juicy....a given being thighs and slow cooked. This goes in my favorite recipe file!
Not bad.. not great. Flavors were good. Would I make it again? Maybe.