My husbands grandfather, being German, introduced goetta to me when we first got married. I loved hearing the stories, during the depression how this recipe was started and the memories of cooking and stirring it all day long and the anticipation of getting the first bit when it was finished! I found a slow cooker recipe and changed some of the ingredients to make this the best Goetta around with many people requesting the recipe. In this tough economy, when you can take 2 pounds of meat and make 6 pounds of Goetta to feed your family is truly "a very good thing!"—Sharon Geers, Wilmington, Ohio
- 6 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, rubbed sage and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine water, oats and seasonings. Cook, covered, on high 2 hours. Remove bay leaves.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onions over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Stir sausage mixture and reserved drippings into oats. Cook, covered, on low 2 hours.
- Transfer mixture to two plastic wrap-lined 9x5-in. loaf pans. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
To serve, slice each loaf into 16 slices. In a large skillet, cook goetta, in batches, over medium heat 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and heated through.
Freeze option: After shaping goetta in loaf pans, cool and freeze, covered, until firm. Transfer goetta to resealable plastic freezer bags or wrap securely in foil; return to freezer. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight; slice and cook as directed. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Slow Cooker Goetta in Taste of Home Recipes Across America 2013, p219
Reviews for Slow Cooker Goetta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review