- 40 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Place garlic and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil in batches; transfer to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Garlic Clove Chicken
"Bland. Bland. Bland."
"I was hoping this would turn out good. It had such good reviews. I didn't think it was anything special"
"This chicken is amazingly flavorful and so easy!"
"This was good. I followed the suggestion of one of the other comments and used Balsamic Vinegar in place of the Vermouth. I served it with rice. It was a big hit with my family and will definitely make it again."
"Very good! I agree anything with Garlic is good. This is soooo easy to throw together and as it cooks the house smells good. I too did not have vermouth on hand so I substituted Merlot wine, and it was great! Everything else I had on hand and added it as the recipe stated. Great chicken!"
"?Garlic with just about anything is quiet tasty, this recipe is no different. Definitely recommended!"
"Fantastic. Had to sub balsamic vinegar for vermouth (all I had) and it was still delicious!"
"Many years ago, I made something like this using only garlic cloves with a chicken, and it was delicious. It was called 40 Garlic Clove chicken. But this recipe looks absolutely awesome, and uses my favorite cooking method: a slow cooker! I will try it this weekend. My brother, Britt, and I love making our families Sunday chicken dinners, and we share recipes frequently. I hope to "one up" him this week! No doubt, this will win the family prize! Thanks!"
"You can buy the garlic gloves already peeled in a plastic jar at the grocery store. They are located where the fresh produce is. Sure saves time!!!Carharwaltr"
"Many years ago(like 50,I`m 80 now!) we were working so hard on a cookbook for Little League.The recipe that won the contest was Drunken chicken, with the same ingredients. Was just as deliscous then....Dorothy Coleman"