Slow Cooker French Onion Soup Recipe
It's hard to believe something this delightful came from a slow cooker! Topped with a slice of French bread and provolone cheese, individual servings are sure to be enjoyed by everyone at your dinner table. —Kris Ritter, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours YIELD:4 servings
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1. Place onions and butter in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until onions are tender. Stir in the broth, sherry and pepper. Cover and cook 2-3 hours longer or until heated through.
- 2. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast and cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 267 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 1,324 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC