- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Place onions and butter in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until onions are tender. Stir in the broth, sherry and pepper. Cover and cook 2-3 hours longer or until heated through.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast and cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
"This soup is absolutely wonderful. I only had 1 sweet onion so I added a red onion. That is the only change. My husband will ask for this often!"
"I just made this tonight. My first time making French Onion soup. It was easy and really really delicious. I used a box of Trader Joe's beef broth instead of canned. I added a bay leaf, and 1 tsp of beef granules. Everything else was exactly the same. (I did cook the onions on the stove to save time, and then put them in the crockpot with the broth. I will definitely make again. Hubby loved it too."
"I smashed this recipe together with another one to make a great French onion soup. Caramelized the onions in a pan first. Added 1 can of progresso French onion soup, 1 can Campbells consommé, 1 teaspoon of better than bouillon beef flavor, lawrys, parsley, garlic, salt, bay leaf. Those extra ingredients only take a minute to add and gives it a depth of flavor it needs. I triple the recipe, we love it."
"I have made this several times and it's great! My boyfriend says it's the best he has ever had. It's our favorite soup!"
"Made this recipe and once I tasted it I wished I didn't have to share..."