Slow Cooker French Onion Soup Recipe
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Place onions and butter in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until onions are tender. Stir in the broth, sherry and pepper. Cover and cook 2-3 hours longer or until heated through.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast and cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Sort By :
I smashed this recipe together with another one to make a great French onion soup. Caramelized the onions in a pan first. Added 1 can of progresso French onion soup, 1 can Campbells consommé, 1 teaspoon of better than bouillon beef flavor, lawrys, parsley, garlic, salt, bay leaf. Those extra ingredients only take a minute to add and gives it a depth of flavor it needs. I triple the recipe, we love it.
I have made this several times and it's great! My boyfriend says it's the best he has ever had. It's our favorite soup!
Made this recipe and once I tasted it I wished I didn't have to share...
This was lacking something. Maybe it's the brand of beef broth that I used. I think next time I might even use a can of condensed French onion soup instead of just beef broth. I really loved how the slow cooker began to caramelize the onions. I let them cook almost two hours longer to give them a nice golden color. Like BobbiBacha, I, too, was coming down with something, and ate this and woke up this morning feeling great!
I would give this recipe another try since I wasn't able to follow the instructions to the letter the first time. We were going to be gone all day so I dumped everything in the crockpot all at once. It was okay, but I'm sure it would have been better if the onions had caramelized.