- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine cheeses.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Enchiladas
"Holy crap! No wonder people are obese! That's more carbs in one meal than I eat in a day and the calories and fat and sodium? Ugh - no thanks"
"This was so bland. I made exactly as recipe specified. Needs enchilada sauce. The flour tortillas get kind of pasty sitting in the slow cooker that long. I would try corn tortillas if I made slow cooker enchiladas again."
"Great recipe. Whole family loved it. I cooked mine in the oven instead of the crockpot. Made it crispy and delicious!"
"Will make this again!"
"Love enchiladas! So can't wait to try this. Has anyone cooked up peruano beans? Very good, small beans and can freeze them with broth, like small pintos. I too will put corn tortillas on the griddle first to get little brown spots on them, more toasted flavor Thanks for sharing... going to try it tonight! just need to thaw out the enchilada sauce and the beans..."