- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine cheeses.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Enchiladas
"This sounds so good but, I have a very severe gluten allergy so I'm wondering if substituting corn tortillas for the flour would be good. Has anyone tried this?"
"This wasn't very good. Very little flavor and tortillas ended up soggy. Wouldn't make again or try to improve on it, because of the tortillas."
"the flavor was wonderful. i used enchilada sauce too, and a dolop of sour cream at the end. it did not, in any way, resemble the picture. the tortillas were complete mush (and i used corn tortillas as one commenter suggested.) they did not resemble enchiladas. i would call it an enchilada hot dish."
"Made this, but had to use the oven as my slow cooker died. I did add a can of enchilada sauce as one review mentioned and it was perfect! Everyone loved it and fought for the leftovers. Will be added to our rotation."
"Great recipe. Whole family loved it. I cooked mine in the oven instead of the crockpot. Made it crispy and delicious!"
"Will make this again!"
"Love enchiladas! So can't wait to try this. Has anyone cooked up peruano beans? Very good, small beans and can freeze them with broth, like small pintos. I too will put corn tortillas on the griddle first to get little brown spots on them, more toasted flavor Thanks for sharing... going to try it tonight! just need to thaw out the enchilada sauce and the beans..."
"Made this last night. It was delicious. We all loved it! Thanks for sharing. I am definitely making again! I did use a crockpot bag to keep it cleaner and just pulled it out bag and all. Made it easier."
"My family loved it! Definitely would make again."