Slow Cooker Enchiladas Recipe
As a busy wife and mother of two young sons, I rely on this handy recipe. I layer enchilada ingredients in the slow cooker, turn it on and forget about it. With a bit of spice, these hearty enchiladas are especially nice during the colder months. —Mary Luebbert, Benton, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours YIELD:4 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine cheeses.
- 2. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 734 calories, 32 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 1,672 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 49 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC