My family (especially my dad) loves chili. After experimenting with several recipes, I came up with my own version that uses ground turkey and is conveniently prepared in a slow cooker.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream and sliced jalapenos, optional
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, water, chilies, chili powder, salt, cumin and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream and jalapenos if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Originally published as Chunky Chili in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p240
Reviews for Slow Cooker Chunky Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review