I came up with this recipe while trying to figure out what I could do with a pot roast that had been in the freezer. Now I keep the rub in a plastic bag, ready and waiting in my cupboard, and I can get the roast in the slow cooker in less than 15 minutes. —Ann Piscitelli, Nokomis, Florida
Recommended: 38 Make-Ahead Meals for Your Busy Family
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 16 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 3 cups crumbled queso fresco or shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: cubed avocado, sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- Mix the first nine ingredients. Cut roast in half; rub with 1/4 cup spice mixture. Cover and store remaining mixture in a cool dry place up to 1 year.
- Place onions and peppers in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Transfer meat and drippings to slow cooker. Top with salsa. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast; shred with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup meat mixture on each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Add toppings of your choice. Yield: 16 servings plus 1/4 cup leftover spice mixture.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef Carnitas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p150
Reviews for Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef Carnitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review