Slow Cooker Chicken Stew Recipe
- 2-1/4 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- Hot cooked couscous
- Place the chicken, onion and carrots in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the apple juice, garlic, salt, cinnamon and pepper; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices; stir in apricots. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker; heat though. Serve with couscous. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Chicken Stew(21)
Sort By :
My daughter and I love this stew. I don't feel it is bland. It is very filling and healthy. We look forward to it when fall rolls around.
This was delicious. It had a unique flavor. I served it over rice. In place of regular salt, I used half onion salt and half garlic salt for more flavor. I also added two chicken bouillon cubes for more flavor. I substituted apples for apricots since my apple tree is loaded.
I have made this recipe for my family MANY times since I found it! It's economical to make with the chicken thighs - I had never cooked with them before and thought I might not like them, I was sooo wrong! It's delicious and my boys (13 & 16) get excited when they come home from school and find this dish in the crockpot. It's also diet-friendly, low-calorie and satisfying. We love this crock-pot meal!
Great recipe!! I've made it a few times and served over brown rice:) I agree that it needs a bit of extra seasoning so I just add a bit of "this and that"...so delicious on a cold day; also freezes well. Yum!!
This was very good. I added a can of diced tomatoes to add a little more color. I also added the 1/4 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder as someone suggested. The apricots give this dish a very good flavor. Will definitely make again.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >