Slow Cooker Chicken Stew Recipe
- 2-1/4 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- Hot cooked couscous
- 1. Place the chicken, onion and carrots in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the apple juice, garlic, salt, cinnamon and pepper; pour over vegetables.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken from slow cooker; shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices; stir in apricots. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker; heat though. Serve with couscous.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with couscous. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups (calculated without couscous) equals 279 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.