- 1 pound ground chicken or beef
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 9 no-cook lasagna noodles
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Additional minced fresh basil, optional
- Fold two 18-in. square pieces of heavy-duty foil into thirds. Crisscross strips and place on bottom and up sides of a 6-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook chicken over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Set chicken aside.
- In same pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and carrots; cook and stir just until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, 4-5 minutes. Stir in cream, cream cheese, cheddar and Gouda cheeses. Return chicken to pot. In a large bowl, combine egg, cottage cheese and basil.
- Spread 1 cup meat mixture into slow cooker. Layer with 3 noodles (breaking noodles as necessary to fit), 1 cup meat mixture, 1/2 cup cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat mixture and cheese. Cook, covered, on low until noodles are tender, 3-4 hours. Remove slow cooker insert and let stand 30 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with additional basil. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Cheesy White Lasagna
"I LOVE this lasagna. The only negative thing I can say is that it is chocked full of cheese and calories. I love cheese so it's definitely a great recipe if you love cheese too. The combination of cheese that is utilized is fantastic."