- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) vegetarian baked beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until heated through. Yield: 15 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Slow Cooker Calico Beans
Sort By :
"This is a fantastic recipe! I never cared for baked beans but homemade is way better :) I have made this several times, some as directed, and this last time I changed it (we no longer eat sugar) by using marinara sauce instead of ketchup & honey (to taste, maybe 1/4 cup) instead of brown sugar. I also doubled the amount of onion & bell pepper & added garlic & fresh parsley. It was soooo good! Never got so many compliments from my family on a veggie dinner (we had it with potatoes & asparagus)."
"Excellent dish. Loved that I could use my slow cooker. I used banana peppers as my garden is full of them. Will make and take on an upcoming family camping vacation."
"Neither of us could put our finger on it but it just had a funny taste."
"Excellent recipe. It works great in a slow cooker, I let it cook on high for several hours stirring occasionally, then turned to low. Also, I used Olive Oil instead of Canola to sauté the veggies and it is really good!!"
"I may have added a bit more Worcestershire sauce as I didn't measure carefully. It turned out well. I will make it again."