Slow Cooker Beef Vegetable Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups hot water
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1. Place the beef, potatoes, hot water, carrots, soup, onion, celery, Worcestershire sauce, browning sauce if desired, bouillon granules, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Stir in peas. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without browning sauce) equals 287 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 705 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.