No more standing and stirring at the stove. This creamy Stroganoff preps in a skillet, then cooks all day while you’re away. —Sarah C. Vasques, Milford, New Hampshire
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope (1-1/2 ounces) beef Stroganoff seasoning for the slow cooker
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup port wine or beef broth
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil. Add water and seasoning mix, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Transfer meat and drippings to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Combine the wine, mustard and sugar; stir into the mushroom mixture. Add to slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in sour cream. Serve with noodles. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff in Taste of Home August/September 2010, p61
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review