- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce
- Layer the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add stew meat; seal and toss to coat evenly. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Place over vegetables.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, broth, mustard, salt, pepper, thyme and browning sauce. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on high for 1-1/2 hours. Reduce heat to low; cook 7-8 hours longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Beef Stew
"I used one pound of baby carrots and added a little garlic. Great recipe and very easy."
"I thought the flavor was good but I added a slurry of cornstarch and water at the end to thicken the broth. I also cooked it on high for 2 hours and medium high for 5 hours. The meet was nice and tender and the veggies were perfectly cooked. The prep takes a little more time than stated, especially if you cut your own stew meat as opposed to buying what is available in the stores. My roommate raved about it so I would not hesitate to serve it to others."
"Added a few seasonings, and this stew was the best I've ever made! Didn't use flour to coat the meat cuz my hubby doesn't like it. 15 mins before serving I tasted it and it needed something, so added soy sauce, mixed herbs, bit of salt, and it was perfect! Veggies were tender but not mushy, and meat was fall-apart tender. Cooked it on low for 7 hours."
"I made this for a group, and they all loved it. Had several people ask for the recipe. I did omit the thyme, but otherwise followed the recipe. I will be making this again!"
"This has been a favorite of our family for years! Great on cold days and it makes the house smell fantastic! Only thing i do different is add a little minced garlic and i use a beef base with 1 cup hot water instead of broth."