Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1. Layer the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add stew meat; seal and toss to coat evenly. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Place over vegetables.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, broth, mustard, salt, pepper, thyme and browning sauce. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on high for 1-1/2 hours. Reduce heat to low; cook 7-8 hours longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 272 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 381 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.