Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy Recipe
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup burgundy wine or beef broth
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove to paper towels. In the drippings, brown the beef; drain.
- 2. Place beef and bacon in a 5-qt. slow cooker, Add the broth, onion, carrot, butter, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Add mushrooms and wine. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 460 calories, 29g fat (12g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy
"Everybody loved this!"
"I didn't have some of the ingredients, thus I had to improvise by using beef bullion for the broth with worstorshire sauce and tomato sauce instead of tomato paste. The results were tremendous! This was absolutely delicious!"
"Great beef burgundy recipe, and easy to put together. I have made this in both my crockpot and a dutch oven on the stovetop when I had less time for cooking and it worked well. I have used both chuck roast and sirloin steak, and both tasted good in the burgundy sauce. Great recipe to serve to a table full of people with a spinach salad, and a green vegetable. Love it!"
"This is a very good recipe. I did however make some changes using ingredients I had on hand. I used turkey bacon instead which I microwaved and then crumbled. I used frozen turkey meatballs instead of the beef. I used a beef gravy mix instead of the flour and water and prepared the gravy using the beef broth and wine. Even with the changes this recipe was tasty and well received."
"Of course I had to mess with this recipe. I was channeling my late mother big-time. I sliced a large onion, then added four small shallots, peeled and sliced, that needed to be used up anyway. Tripled the amount of carrot. Used a heavy hand with the seasonings and tomato paste, because it's my experience that long, slow cooking tends to make the seasonings wane in strength. Added a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce along with the mushrooms, wine and thickener at the end. It was yummy! I used a California cabernet for the wine. Served it over mashed potatoes, although my daughter insisted upon having hers over cooked pasta, so I had to cook up some linguine at the last minute. This is a good basic recipe but do not be afraid to make changes."
"Delicious! My family loved it. I added peas which we liked but is definitely not necessary."
"Seriously, this was fantastic! In fact, I've never rated/reviewed a recipe before, it was that good. The only thing I changed was - I added two extra carrots, a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce and a handful of frozen peas when I added the mushroom. The meat was so tasty and tender. It melted in your mouth."
"Really good. I shared with my neighbor!"
"This is a great recipe. I use 4 carrots, 1 parsnip, and add 1 tsp of worcestershire sauce. My husband loves this dish!"
"The family really liked this one. It was very hearty and delicious tasting and very easy to make. We will be making this again!"
"Forgot to click on the stars...."
"Oh this was wonderful! It took me longer than 15 minutes of Prep though, more like a half hour. My family loved it, and I will make it again!"
"Very good. Needs more carrots & onion. I'm gonna try adding 1/2 - cup of wild rice and water chestnuts. Definetly making again"
"YUM! Wonderful flavor. I let it cook a little too long and everything got kinda mushy. My fault, the recipe is great. I'll be more careful next time! Thanks!"
"make this as often as i can now thank you for the great meal"