Slow Cooker Beef Burgandy Recipe
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup burgundy wine or beef broth
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove to paper towels. In the drippings, brown the beef; drain.
- 2. Place beef and bacon in a 5-qt. slow cooker, Add the broth, onion, carrot, butter, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Add mushrooms and wine. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 460 calories, 29 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 663 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.