Slow Cooker Beef Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add mushrooms and bay leaves. Combine the tomatoes, onion, brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove beef and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir in cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice meat across the grain; serve with gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
5 ounces cooked meat with 1/2 cup gravy equals equals 341 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 339 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.