- 6 chicken leg quarters, skin removed
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Using a sharp knife, cut through the joint of each leg quarter to separate into two pieces. Place chicken in a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix ketchup, orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, oil, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; pour into a measuring cup to measure 2 cups. Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
"Made this recipe yesterday using 4 lbs of chicken thighs (8 thighs). I doubled the sauce recipe. My husband said it is a WINNER and don't lose the recipe!. I just might make the sauce recipe (thickening it, of course) to use for pulled pork or on spareribs. It is the right mix of sweet and tangy."
"This was very good! I used 8 boneless/skinless thighs and it was done in about 5 hours. Next time I will cut way back on or eliminate the oil completely. It really didn't need to be there. It's a very different BBQ flavor but we really enjoyed it."
"We loved the sauce....probably don't need as much oil though."
"I made this. It was easy and fun. And probably could do without the 1/4 cup of oil. The taste and flavor was unlike anything I ever experienced. Yum. Tender fall off the bone chicken."
"chicken was nice and moist - but it becomes very challenging to eat with so many bones, etc. to filter through. The sauce flavour was ok."
"I cut the recipe in 1/2 to fit in my mini crock pot for one. It tastes good, probably would use less brown sugar next time. Used red wine and some basalmic vinegar in place of wine vineegar which I don't keep in the pantry.."
"I made this exactly as given and found there was too much oil. I didn't care for the flavor of the sauce but son did like. Just because it's not my to my liking doesn't mean others won't like it. Enjoy!"
"Love this. Will make it again."
"My kids love this and they generally do not like chicken. My husband actually requested that I make it again for the kids which is the first sign of him remotely planning a meal since we were married 20 years ago!"