Slow Cooker Baked Beans Recipe
These traditional baked beans have a nice blend of flavors and a thick pleasant sauce. They were a hit at our son's wedding.
- 2 pounds dried navy beans
- 4 quarts water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon or salt pork, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return to Dutch oven; add 4 qts. water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender. Drain and reserve liquid. Combine beans with the remaining ingredients.
- 3. Transfer to two ungreased 2-1/2-qt. baking dishes or bean pots. Add 1-1/2 cups reserved cooking liquid to each casserole; stir to combine.
- 4. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are as thick as desired, stirring occasionally. Add more of the reserved cooking liquid if needed. Yield: 16-18 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 268 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 729 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC