- 2 pounds dried navy beans
- 4 quarts water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon or salt pork, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return to Dutch oven; add 4 qts. water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender. Drain and reserve liquid. Combine beans with the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to two ungreased 2-1/2-qt. baking dishes or bean pots. Add 1-1/2 cups reserved cooking liquid to each casserole; stir to combine.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are as thick as desired, stirring occasionally. Add more of the reserved cooking liquid if needed. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Baked Beans
"After preparing the beans, I threw all the other ingredients into a crock pot and finished them that way. They were quite delicious. I love that the molasses flavor comes through."
"I have made this reciepe many times and they are always hit even with my son who claims to hate beans"
"I made these beans for a family party and everyone loved them. the only thing I changed was I added a little more molasses then the recipe called for."