In Westgate, Iowa, Kathy Westendorf simmers and assortment of garden-fresh vegetables into a satisfying side dish. "My sister-in-law shared this recipe with me. It's a favorite at holiday gatherings and potlucks," she assures.
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 small carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place the vegetables in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the butter, tapioca, sugar, salt if desired and pepper; pour over vegetables and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Vegetables in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p45
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Vegetables
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review