Slow-Cooked Vegetable Soup Recipe
You just have to try this hearty soup for its unique blend of flavors and beautiful appearance, With all the rich foods served during the holiday, it's nice to serve this soup loaded with fiber and vitamins. —Christina Till, South Haven, Michigan
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add potato, sweet potato and garlic; saute 3-5 minutes longer.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 serving (about 3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 136 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 449 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC