- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add potato, sweet potato and garlic; saute 3-5 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 serving (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Vegetable Soup
"I needed something for my vegan niece and found this. We all loved it. The sautéing is important and it needs to cook the 10 hours. Actually, it was even better the next day. I served it with bread made in my bread maker. Yum."
"this is a enjoyable soup, yes I have done this with out any pre -cooking it tasted ok, my husband and son prefer the veggis precooked I myself and my sister and her boyfriend really don't care so try it wihout and with pre-cooking"
"can anyone tell me if this could be made without the pre-cooking? (Just dumping all into crock pot)"
"I made this soup because I was curious. The ingredients are so simple and healthy and the taste was absolutely wonderful. What a delightful combinations of flavors! It will be a repeat in our home."