- Place the first four ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large
- skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted
- spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve drippings.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/4 teaspoon
- pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add meat, a few pieces at a time; seal
- and shake to coat. Brown the beef, onion and garlic in drippings and
- Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in the broth, wine or additional broth,
- bay leaf, thyme, reserved bacon and remaining salt and pepper. Cover
- and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay
- Combine soup and water; add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high
- for 30 minutes. Combine cornstarch and cold water; stir into slow
- cooker. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until thickened. Yield:
- 7-8 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.