Here's a great beef stew that simmers in a wonderful gravy. Served with a loaf of crusty bread and a green salad, it's a tasty meal for grown-ups and kids alike. I think it's even better the next day. -Randee Eckstein Commack, New York
- 5 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Place the first four ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve drippings.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add meat, a few pieces at a time; seal and shake to coat. Brown the beef, onion and garlic in drippings and oil.
- Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in the broth, wine or additional broth, bay leaf, thyme, reserved bacon and remaining salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Combine soup and water; add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Combine cornstarch and cold water; stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 7-8 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Beef Stew in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p31
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Vegetable Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review