"The first time I had this chili at a Super Bowl party, I was on my second bowl before I realized it had no meat! It's so chock-full of ingredients and flavor that it's hard to believe this is a low-fat recipe. Enjoy!" Ronald Johnson - Elmhurst, Illinois
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Reduced-fat sour cream, hot pepper sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion and/or crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the mushrooms, peppers, celery, onion and jalapeno in oil until onion is lightly browned. Add the garlic, cumin and oregano; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, carrot, water, barbecue sauce, chili powder and Liquid Smoke if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with sour cream, pepper sauce, cheese, onion and/or chips if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Two-Bean Chili in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p50
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Two-Bean Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review