- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk and cornmeal until smooth. Add corn, tomatoes, olives, chili seasoning, seasoned salt and beef.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours and 45 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Tamale Casserole
"Great recipe, easy to make, I added a 4 oz. can of green chilies, a piece of jalapeno diced, taco seasoning, ancho seasoning, annato seasoning, garlic and onion powder, kosher salt, paprika and cayenne pepper instead of chili seasoning and season salt. Loved it !! Making it again tonight with pinto beans. Awesome with a white Mexican crumble cheese!!"
"Instead of season salt I used red pepper flakes, that spiced it up real nice"
"This was very simple to put together which makes it great when you don't have a lot of time but to me I felt like it was missing something in flavor. Maybe it needed to be spicy since my family loves spicy dishes or maybe more cheesy. This is something I would try again but next time I'll be adding something to the dish."
"This one is a keeper."
"Lacked flavor compared to the recipe I've been holding on for years that I got off a corn meal box. I would, although make my usual recipe in the crock pot next time."
"John loved this recipe"
"Very bland and mushy. My family did not like."
"On a special diet and can't use milk so I used half and half. It did burn on the sides. Did anyone have this problem? If so what did you do? I think my slow cooker cooks fast also."