Slow-Cooked Swiss Steak
This is a favorite because I can flour and season the steaks and refrigerate them the night before. The next morning, I put the ingredients in the slow cooker, and the dish is ready when I come home from work.—Sarah Burks, Wathena, Kansas
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef round steak, cut into six pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and
- pepper. Add the steak; seal bag and toss to coat.
- Place the onion in a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with the steak,
- celery and tomato sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or
- until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 171 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 409 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.