- 4 medium sweet red peppers
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup uncooked converted long grain rice
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. In a large bowl, mix beans, cheese, salsa, onion, corn, rice, chili powder and cumin; spoon into peppers. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through. If desired, serve with sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Stuffed Peppers
"This has to be my favorite recipe. Easy to make, The next day leftovers are awesome too."
"This was an on the fly, let's see what I have in the pantry because I'm snowed in kinda deal for me that turned out very good.I didn't have whole peppers but had chopped mixed red, yellow and orange in the freezer from my over abundance this past fall so I used them. Also didn't have pepper jack cheese but substituted Colby Jack and some chopped jalapenos.I had all the other ingredients and also added 1 can of Ro-tel diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro just because I always add tomatoes to my stuffed peppers.In place of sour cream I used fat free plain Greek yogurt."
"First time I made this, I cooked rice separately and was good. Second time I added 1/4 cup diced tomatoes to uncooked rice. Worked great."
"Good, but better the second day. I added a tablespoon of water to each pepper to make sure the rice cooked properly. No rice issues."
"What a fantastic way to make stuffed peppers that come out so tender and delicious. I used brown rice, which wasn't quite done when we were ready to eat, so I spooned some of the liquid from the bottom of the crock pot into the peppers. After another half hour or so, they were perfect. We enjoyed the tex-mex flavors, and I will use this method for my other stuffed pepper recipes in the future."
"My hubby and I love these! So easy to make and so yummy! Great with sour cream! I cooked the rice before I stuffed the peppers!"
"What is "Converted Rice"? I usually use the original rice that comes in a plastic bag and takes about 40-45 mins. to cook. Is "converted" rice the fast cooking kind that comes in a box and cooks in about 5-10 min? Or, can I use original white or brown rice? I'm rating this only because it's the only way to submit this question....I can't figure out any other way to get my question answered through Taste of Home. This recipe does sound delicious and I do plan to try it if I can get my question answered."
"I used quinoa instead of rice and added jalapeno peppers (just a few slices) to add great flavor. Used orange peppers also since they were cheaper. Yummy!!!!"
"I first made this at home and loved it. The next time I didn't stuff the peppers, but instead added two chopped red peppers to the mix. My pot luck group loved it, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike."