Slow-Cooked Stuffed Apples Recipe
- 6 large tart apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Granola and caramel ice cream topping, optional
- Core apples and peel top third of each; brush peeled portions with lemon juice. Place in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Combine the pecans, apricots, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Place a heaping tablespoonful of mixture in each apple. Pour 2 cups water around apples.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until apples are tender. Serve with granola and caramel topping if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Stuffed Apples(2)
Sort By :
Just like any other cooked apple, except that there was a very small
amount of a sweet nutty mixture in the middle. It did nothing for me.
I'd have been just as happy with plain cooked apples, and it would
have been easier.
Note, if you want your filling to spill over the top like in the picture, you better double it. Mine just barely filled up the cavity.
I just made these this weekend, and they were awesome! I did leave out the apricots, and I doubled the topping so I had plenty to stuff inside and pile on top of the apples. I cored the apples like the directions said, but I didn't do it all the way through. I scooped out what was cored with a small measuring spoon so the pecan mixture didn't leak out of the bottom as the apples cooked. Also, next time I will cook them in either apple juice or cider instead of water for even more flavor! I think adding cornstarch to thicken the liquid to make it good for drizzling over the top is a good idea, too! Incidentally, I didn't make this for a dessert...I served it as a side dish along with baked chicken, macaroni and cheese, and buttered asparagus. They got rave reviews from my kids and husband! I can't wait to make this recipe again this fall! Delicious!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >