In Harkers Island, North Carolina, Judith Waxman prepares a tart and tangy fruit sauce that's excellent over pound cake or ice cream. "I've served this rosy-colored mixture many times and gotten rave reviews from friends and family," she assures.
- 6 cups chopped rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 2 cups halved unsweetened strawberries
- Angel food cake, pound cake or vanilla ice cream
- Place rhubarb in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine sugar, orange peel and ginger; sprinkle over rhubarb. Add cinnamon stick and grape juice. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until rhubarb is tender.
- Stir in strawberries; cook 1 hour longer. Discard cinnamon stick. Serve with cake or ice cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p35
Reviews for Slow Cooked Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review