Slow-Cooked Spicy Portuguese Cacoila Recipe
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder butt roast, cut into 2-in. pieces
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 bolillos or hoagie buns, split, optional
- 1. Place pork in a large resealable bag; add wine, garlic and seasonings. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Transfer pork mixture to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; add onion and water. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Skim fat. Remove bay leaves. Shred meat with two forks. If desired, serve with a slotted spoon on bolillos. Yield: 12 servings.
1 sandwich: 489 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1075mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Spicy Portuguese Cacoila
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.