Slow-Cooked Spaghetti Sauce
I like to serve this dish to company. Not only is it delicious and a snap to prepare, but it's economical, too. I'd be lost without my slow cooker. —Shelley McKinney of New Castle, Indiana
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients. Cover
- and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until heated through. Discard bay
- leaf. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 142 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 546 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.