- 1 pound ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Spaghetti Sauce
"Purely a hit!"
"This was good, but not great. A little too acidic for our tastes, but a little more brown sugar could likely take care of that. I will say that it was a nice thick sauce that coated pasta nicely."
"Easy and delicious!"
"Great recipe, had enough to freeze for another meal"
"I made this, using 93% lean meat, adding 8 oz. of chopped mini-portabello mushrooms. I used all fresh herbs and Hunts brand tomato products. My family loved it and wants it ALL the time now! It gave a new meaning to "spaghetti". Thanks for giving me a new way to cook an old favorite!"