I first sampled this spaghetti sauce at my sister-in-law's and had to have the recipe. After all these years, I still think it's about the best I've ever tasted. —Jackie Grant, Vanderhoof, British Columbia
- 1 cup finely chopped onion, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup onion, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs with remaining onion.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, celery, bay leaves and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 20 servings (about 4-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Spaghetti and Meatballs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p69
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Spaghetti and Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review